Planning on taking up tennis, but don’t know how much tennis lessons cost? Unfortunately, finding out the costs can be overwhelming and time-consuming.
The quality of your lessons will greatly impact your success in the game, but it’s difficult to know which one to pick when they all seem equally qualified.
The price of tennis lessons for children tends to be less than that of adult training. Usually, teenagers who are serious about improving their game pay more for private lessons than adults.
Of course, the student’s skill level will also affect the cost. But remember a few factors before signing up for a tennis lesson.
Private Tennis Lessons More Expensive Than Group Lessons
Privately taking tennis lessons is a great idea for beginners.
But not only are they more personal, but they are also more expensive.
However, you can arrange a group lesson and split the cost among your friends.
It will be fun for you and your friends to play the game together, and you can improve your tennis skills simultaneously.
In private lessons, you can choose the right coach who will dedicate all their time to improving your game.
Comparison Of Private And Group Tennis Lessons
- Professional tennis instructors are generally highly qualified and charge anywhere from $90 to $150 per hour.
- Group rates, however, can range from $30 to $40 per person.
- While private tennis lessons are more expensive than group lessons, you can save money by combining them with group lessons.
- A good tennis beginner program typically consists of one private lesson per week plus one group lesson.
- A good program will include regular group tennis sessions and plenty of practice; the costs should be no more than $60 to $85 per person.
- However, the cost of private lessons is often worth the convenience and higher cost.
- Group tennis lessons are often harder to find than private ones, but the more people you have, the cheaper they are.
- It will improve your kid’s social circle as they can make friends with other students while taking tennis lessons.
- A group lesson is much cheaper than individual instruction. And because everyone starts at the same level, you will get more personalized attention from your coach.
The cost of private tennis lessons varies depending on where you live and the type of professional you choose.
- You can find an adult tennis professional at a public park for $20 to $50 an hour.
- If you live in a city where private tennis lessons are unavailable, consider enrolling in a public tennis lesson instead.
- You can also enroll in group adult tennis lessons for free at some public parks.
- Alternatively, you can also sign up for group tennis lessons for kids, which are available in many cities.
Indoor Courts Are More Expensive
In colder climates, indoor tennis courts are necessary. In winters, the temperature may stay in the 70s, and two feet of snow can make playing outside difficult.
- Indoor courts require heating and insulation. Compared to outdoor courts, they are more expensive.
- However, this cost can be justified if you play tennis year-round and want to keep warm.
- Also, indoor courts are better for children. They can enjoy playing tennis on a smooth surface, which can be more convenient.
Cost of Indoor Tennis Courts
- Indoor tennis courts can cost anywhere from $20 to $50 per hour.
- If you play every day, you will likely pay a lot more for the rental.
- You can also purchase tennis balls, which cost about $1 each.
- Basic tennis balls are sold in sleeves of three. You may also need to purchase a tennis racquet.
- Racquets can cost anywhere from $25 to $100, and you will likely need to pay monthly dues at some places.
There are advantages and disadvantages to different types of courts. For example, clay courts are easier to maintain but require raking and brushing and need to be refreshed annually.
Other courts are better for playing tennis, but they may be more expensive.
Indoor courts are generally less expensive to maintain and hence less expensive to rent. However, they need to be resurfaced every few years.
Equipment Needed for Tennis Lessons
You will need certain equipment for a tennis lesson.
The most basic pieces of equipment are:
- A racket,
- Tennis shoes, and
- Tennis balls.
You should also invest in some tennis apparel. A pair of good tennis pants will make you look more professional and comfortable.
A tennis racket usually costs between $50 and $100. Alternatively, you can buy a cheap racket from a local sporting goods store.
Invest in a visor for more protection from the sun. Finally, a hand towel will help you dry your sweat.
Another piece of equipment you should invest in is a serving sock. This tool will help you get into the flow and rhythm of the tennis serve.
It will make the whole process easier for you. You should buy one to practice the technique. It can be easily purchased online or from a sports store.
It’s also worth considering if your local tennis court offers these accessories. However, you can also rent or buy them if you have the money.
Ball machines are great for practicing. There’s an appropriate machine, whether you are a beginner or an advanced player.
This equipment is portable and easy to set up. A good quality machine can last decades. It can train virtually any skill, from speed to changing direction.
It’s also helpful for developing footwork and reaction time. So regardless of your level of skill, these equipment items will help you achieve your tennis goals.
You’ll need shoes and a net. Your tennis lessons will be much more fun with the right equipment. Don’t forget to wear comfortable clothing. You’ll need your tennis shoes to avoid any injury.
You’ll need to purchase a few tennis balls. A bag of tennis balls will suffice if you’re just hitting serves on your own. However, if you’re taking lessons from a coach, you may need a large container of tennis balls.
If you’re looking for a durable tennis ball, you should look for a professional one designed to withstand impact.
Choosing A Tennis Coach
Experience and skills: These qualities are important when choosing a tennis coach. An experienced coach has a greater attention to detail, but exceptions exist. An experienced coach also knows how to communicate with a player. Poor communication can negatively impact your learning experience and progress.
Know your level: Your level of play will determine the level of the tennis coach you choose. If you don’t know your level, selecting a coach who is a level higher than you is a good idea. This way, you’ll be able to ask about the instructor’s playing experience before signing your child up for lessons.
Match the instructor’s style: If you have a child, look for someone with the same personality. For example, while a good tennis coach can teach a child to play the game, you should feel comfortable with the person. If the instructor does not have a relaxed demeanor, look elsewhere.
Trial Session: If you’re unsure what type of instructor is right for your child, a free trial session will help you decide whether the atmosphere is right for your child. Also, make sure the tennis session is engaging and challenging.
Certification: A tennis coach should be certified by the LTA or PTR. However, certification doesn’t necessarily mean that the coach is efficient. Look for recommendations from other tennis players. You can also consider a coach’s personality and level of maturity.
General Qualities Of A Tennis Coach
- Perhaps you know someone who the coach has coached. They can attest to the quality of a coach. It’s best to find an experienced coach who has worked with many customers.
- The coach’s experience and qualifications should match your level of play.
- A good coach should have played on the professional tour or be at a higher level than you.
- A coach who has the experience and is technically qualified can be an important mentor for the young player.
- To become a pro one day, you’ll need a mentor who has played on the professional tour. This mentor will be excellent in helping you develop your skills and confidence.
Tennis is a popular sport, but today there is an oversaturation of sports, making it hard to find a coach. You would also need to purchase expensive equipment and pay for expensive lessons. It can discourage people from starting because of the cost and hassle.
Playing tennis not only provides physical benefits, but it’s also a great way to improve your mental health and protect your brain against Alzheimer’s. In addition, it’s a great game for all ages. So if your budget allows, you hire a coach.